Lilypie Trying to Conceive Event tickers

Monday, January 5, 2009

HG and Me

As I've mentioned before, I have suffered from hyperemesis gravidarum in a previous pregnancy (my first) and am again dealing with it during this pregnancy (my third). I lost close to 30 lbs with my first pregnancy and had a baby born at 37 weeks, 1 day weighing 3lbs, 10oz. Cause and effect? Well, my doctor said no, but she also couldn't tell me why she was so small. With my second pregnancy I wasn't sick, had better nutrition, and had a bigger baby. So, you be the judge.

This third pregnancy and second battle with HG have been horrifying. This time I have a two year old and four year old to take care of. I haven't been able to take very good care of them. The nausea has been much worse this time, not even abating at night. I was finally admitted to the hospital about 3 weeks ago. I stayed there for four days. The first day I didn't even try to eat anything. I just slept and let my fluids and nutrition come from my iv bag. The second day I sat up and sipped chicken broth and lemon jello. The third day I began drinking water by mouth and the fourth day I was keeping down pot roast and green beans.

Four days after leaving the hospital I had a weight check and had gained back 4lbs. There was some concern though because I still had ketones in my urine. Since I was, however, eating, drinking and gaining weight I was sent home instead of back to the hospital. This Thursday I go in for a regular 16 week prenatal appointment. I'm hoping I've gained a lot of weight and there are no more ketones. We'll see on Thursday. . .



4 comments:

Rixa said...

Oh, I am so sorry to hear you're having such terrible HG. I hope it abates and that you can start feeling back to normal soon.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Rixa :) I kept looking at your graduation pictures thinking, "man, i wish all i had was food poisoning! then it would go away..."

I just hate the constant battle with food. Sometimes it just seems the trouble it takes to eat isn't worth it. That's silly, I know, because OF COURSE I have to eat.

AtYourCervix said...

I hope you improve more with your HG. It must be something truly awful. My sympathies!

M said...

Sorry you are having a difficult time. I had really bad morning sickness this time around--but it wasn't HG. I had a hard enough time taking care of just one child, nevermind two. I can only imagine how difficult this is for you. I hope you feel better soon!