Lilypie Trying to Conceive Event tickers

Friday, January 4, 2008

SIR, permission to use my vagina, SIR!

Just a thought. . .

"When we give government the power to make medical decisions for us, we, in essence, accept that the state owns our bodies." ~U.S. presidential candidate Ron Paul

Giving the government "the power to make medical decisions for us" means letting the government make

ANY laws about what we can/can't do with our own bodies. It's a frightening trend today. Women being told they "can't" have a vaginal birth for various reasons (pelvis too small, previous section, baby too big, the moon is full, etc...). To quote a now famous line on another group I belong to, "you don't need permission to use your vagina." Did you know there's a certain amount of risk in sex, even? Disease, infection, slight tearing, mild discomfort, even death if an air bubble is pushed into your bloodstream. Since sex is "risky", shouldn't you ask your doctor's permission before you have sex? No? Why? BECAUSE YOU DON'T NEED PERMISSION TO USE YOUR OWN VAGINA... that's why.

So then some would counter "well pregnancy and birth aren't all about the mother. there is another human life that must be considered in the equation". Yes, yes... that's right. The baby. Well... do you ask your doctor's permission before having an abortion? Oh, that's right... it's the DOCTOR who does the abortion. And what about those babies that are aborted because the pregnancy endangers the mother's life? What happened to the "all important" statement that the baby's life must be considered, too?

Messy, messy, messy.

My point is YOU own YOUR OWN body. Nobody has the right to make any decisions regarding your body except you. Nobody has the right to DO anything to your body without your INFORMED consent. And it is the audacity of all audacities when lawmakers make laws "governing" your body.

6 comments:

One Hot Mama said...

Bravo! You say it so well.

Becky said...

Thanks :) I did major in literature and creative writing at a *very* liberal women's college.

Anonymous said...

AWESOME. Do you mind if I quote this on another blog. sometimes other people say it SO WELL!

Becky said...

I don't mind at all. If you wouldn't mind though, could you include a link back to my blog? Thanks! :)

Jill said...

Indeedy! I am pro-choice, but find it so incredibly sick that a woman can choose to abort her child no questions asked, yet if she decides to BIRTH that child, she "can't do this" and "isn't allowed to do that." Do docs REALLY value life as much as they claim, or do they just value control?

PegHead said...

Wow, as I read your blog, I think you're a much better spoken version of myself. I had a C/Sec, fully intervened VBAC and then a totally natural VBAC.

I live in Nebraska currently and am SO TIRED of hearing male legislators discuss my right to use my vagina and breasts as nature intended.